I wish a separate fork of LMS would be made to address the myriad of
concerns like this, that are also noted in my sig links.

Personally, I assign AA tags to everything.  Generally speaking they
often equal the artist frame, but when they don't I use them to keep
tracks from a Single CD together, and also to sort the CD where I want
to find it.  This method works in ALL software, (that matters).

There is no actual need then to ever assign comp=1 tags, except and
unless you want LMS (or other stuff, like Apple, etc) to know something
is a comp, (however u might define that).  I also rip one CD per folder.

To me, LMS made basic logic flow chart errors in design in the early
days and never rectified them.  In the db for instance, there should be
AA and A fields, but not a third track artist field which does not exist
in tags.  Automatic comp detection should be optional.  Using file names
or folders to fill in missing info should be optional.

LMS should have 3 lists by default: A, AA, and All Artists, which would
merge the first two lists together into a single master list.  Users
could decide if they also wanted composers, conductors, etc in the
master list.  There should also be a compilations list.

I know work has been done to kinda get it all there, but it is
frequently buggy and complex on queries, as the bugs in my links note.

I have posted about this before, but the problem of design extends into
the whole home > whatever scheme, which is just weird and not really
seen in any other software.  It's a bizarre unique system unto LMS.

using:  win10 64 + lms 8 & duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on
an ipod
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/various_artists_logic &
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/compilations