garym wrote:
> I haven't given it the thought that you and others have, but for me, I'd
> prefer that if COMPILATION=1 then LMS treats it as a compilation.
> Otherwise, not a compilation. So it's very specific based on explicit
> setting.

That's fair enough.  I think LMS tries to deal with cases where there is
no compilation tag, and it tries to second-guess the possibility that
the ripping software set it to 0/false/N as a default, despite it being
an obvious compilation.  But 'obvious' needs to be defined in rules for
an algorithm.  I would take the view that no compilation tag doesn't
necessarily mean it's not a compilation - maybe the user of the ripping
software wasn't aware of the option.  I don't think LMS ever overrides a
positive compilation tag, even if all the artists are the same - because
it could be 'Greatest Hits' for instance.

But, like you gents, the compilation tag doesn't bother me either.  If I
want to play an album of various artists I'll usually find it by album
name, or by looking for one of the artists that I know is on the album.
Even though I don't normally use the option that shows Album Artists
separately, as said, it strikes me as more of an issue that an
explicitly defined Album Artist doesn't appear in the list for a
compilation.

As the code currently stands (for external cue sheets), the only way an
album will NOT show up as a compilation is if the artist(s) for every
track are identical, AND the Album Artist is present and the same.  In
this case the Album Artist will show up in the list of album artists.