Hi,

Beware that if you are applying this to an existing library; there are cart lengths/average_lengths in the CARTS table and I'm pretty sure cut lengths in the CUT table.

It would also throw off any segue/talk time/hook/cut start/end markers you had put in.

Should be possible to script a 5% increase and adjust markers accordingly rather than manually changing everything.

On 2014-11-23 20:50, Lorne Tyndale wrote:
I think the answer in this case is clear: pitch alteration belongs in the production room, not the air chain.

I tend to agree with this too.

Another option that I could point out - which essentially would be the
same as doing the alteration in production only without the human
element involved (thus automating the process for those with large
libraries).  With a few MySQL queries and some scripting it would be
possible to generate a list of the audio file names in /var/snd for
which audio pitch speedup is desired. Then - make a backup of /var/snd
(so you'll still have the original) and write a script to use SOX to
automate the modifying / pitch speed up of any audio tracks you want to perform that effect on and have that script put the new versions of the
files in /var/snd (make sure they have the same file name as the old
file name). This should have a similar end-effect of modifying each one
in something like Audacity, without the need to sit there and go into
each file.

Writing such code should be relatively trivial and potentially provide
the desired result.  Since it would not modify any of the Rivendell
source code it would be unlikely to break anything. And going back to the original would simply be a matter of restoring the needed files from
backup.

Of course without someone listening to each track (as you would when
editing each one) you'd lose the human ability to make sure  things
still sound good.