Status update: bubble tooltip library has been downloaded and heavily
modified for our use.  I didn't like the fact that all it could show was
an alternate representation of the "title" attribute of a link, so I gave
it a custom attribute and added the ability to do HTML as well as plain
text.  It's been integrated into the WebCit framework now, and all of the
links on the calendar month view are "hot" -- I just need to spend another
half hour or so writing the code that generates the HTML content of the
bubbles.

 I think this will end up being one of those "wow factor" features.  As
simple titles, the bubbles are cool but gratuitous.  With actual extended
information in them, they really will kick the usability level up.