On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 17:30:52 -0400
Ted Felix <t...@tedfelix.com> wrote:

> On 06/13/2015 11:37 AM, Abrolag wrote:
> > Hi Ted (that was quick!)
>
>    Saturday morning is Rosegarden morning.
>
> > No, it's on fixed. I always use that, in fact I have that as my default
> > studio
> > for all channels.
>
>    Hmmm.  Is this a "Reset All Controllers" (121) message?  I've found
> that in a couple of places in the code.  It appears as the following
> constants:
>
>    MIDI_CONTROLLER_RESET
>    controllerAllControllersOff
>
> But those only appear in two places:
>
>    ChannelManager::setControllers()
>      - This routine isn't called for me at startup or file load.
>    AlsaDriver::processEventsOut()
>      - Only sent when we do a "panic" event.
>
> ...so I'm not sure where this is coming from.
>
>    Unfortunately, kmidimon is useless at rg startup and file load, so
> that makes it even harder to observe this.  I'll see if I can do some
> strategic RG_DEBUG-ing.
>
>    In the meantime, if we can hammer out a simple test case, that would
> be a big help.
>
>    Just using rg normally, I don't see anything like what you are
> describing when I use fluidsynth.  fluidsynth gets the proper volume
> setting every time I launch rg or load a composition.
>
>    So, if you just create a simple one bar composition with a few notes
> and an obviously non-default volume setting for that track (e.g.
> something really low like 10), you can reproduce this every time?  Just
> bring down rg, relaunch, load the test composition, and the volume isn't
> correct?

Sometimes I think computers hate me :(

I tried that and everything worked perfectly :?

Tried one of my 'normal' files and that had no problems either, and another and
another...

...and... wait! Bingo set and instantly reset!

Next, I did something I should have tried a long time ago - complied a version
of Yoshimi that would ignore the reset command. Guess what? Errant file *still*
did it's little dance. So, sorry for the false info, but now what on earth
could be in the file that does this (I eventually found it in several others
too).

It can't be anything in the normal track data as these all start at the second
bar, and this wierdo happens as you *load* the file.

{snoooze}

Ha! Got the little bugger! :) :) :)

All the affected parts have an 'orphan' MIDI output in Manage MIDI Devices. The
device they were connected to no longer exists - indeed it no longer does in
real life!

What happens then is they lock on to the only available one - Yoshimi. From
here on I'm surmising that they send settings from phantom tracks. In any case
if I set them to [no port] and resave the file, next time it loads there is no
problem.

My guess is that this was originally done to ensure there was always something
connected. I wonder if anyone else has been victimised by this version of the
law of unintended consequences :o

--
W J G