On 10/17/2017 12:57 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
On 10/17/2017 05:34 AM, david wrote:

Starting it from a terminal filled the screen with multiple errors and lists of .so files etc, etc.

When you're running an unstable distro with extra repositories and getting a bunch of .so errors, it's probably just a matter of broken runtime dependencies due to incompatible packages.  I used to run into that sort of problem all the time, which is why I switched to Ubuntu LTS releases.  Debian Testing is especially horrible for this in my experience, although granted that experience is incredibly ancient at this point.

Well, I prefer Debian. I have Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on the other side of this system. The hardware is a 2.4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. Ubuntu takes 3-5 minutes to start up, patiently displaying the Ubuntu logo and progress bar. Debian takes less than a minute.

Debian Testing has been pretty reasonable for me. But the desktop is the Debian setup that also has the KXStudio repositories. Maybe they're the problem.

On the laptop (with no KXStudio), Rosegarden runs fine although it sometimes has problems trying to print/print preview (triggers errors in Lilypond). I think it might be related to compositions with segments that don't END on a full measure.

On the desktop, when RG was running, it had no problems with Lilypond.

Did you compile Rosegarden from source?  If not, that's probably the quick and dirty way to get rolling.  If so, and you got this result, then there might actually be a problem we could solve here.

Haven't compiled Rosegarden from source. Worth trying. Link for instructions?

--
David W. Jones
http://dancingtreefrog.com