On 10/28/2017 09:53 PM, david wrote:

dist-upgrade is the mechanism Ubuntu uses when a new LTS version comes out and you choose to upgrade to the new version, I think.

If you don't update to totally new sources, however, it merely handles changing dependencies from one version of an installed package to another.

dist-upgrade
In addition to performing the function of upgrade, this option also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones, if necessary.

Anyway, it will happily remove installed programs if it decides that some other program it is upgrading requires it to be removed. Or (I think) if the installed program isn't in the repository anymore? Been awhile since I've used it. It used to produce disasters for me in Ubuntu.

I've been using it routinely for countless years. I probably need it due to having a lot of random stuff installed from PPAs.

Anyhoo.....