On 10/28/2017 01:19 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
On 10/27/2017 03:19 AM, david wrote:

I've noticed that when I upgrade my Debian Testing installations using "apt-get upgrade" vs Synaptic's "Mark all upgrades" option, apt-get reports a number of packages being held back.

I've always used "apt-get dist-upgrade" and skipped the pretty package managers.  The "dist-upgrade" option will pull in things apt-get will skip, but theoretically it won't get anything broken.

dist-upgrade is the mechanism Ubuntu uses when a new LTS version comes out and you choose to upgrade to the new version, I think.

Anyway, it will happily remove installed programs if it decides that some other program it is upgrading requires it to be removed. Or (I think) if the installed program isn't in the repository anymore? Been awhile since I've used it. It used to produce disasters for me in Ubuntu.

--
David W. Jones
http://dancingtreefrog.com