Daniel,

On 3/14/07, DW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Am Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:52:46 -0400 schrieb Christopher Williams:

here are my thoughts:
>... Given the recent influx of new competitors (Netbeans, DLTK, IntelliJ)
i think as long there are free alternatives, most people wont pay for
RDT/RadRails.
especially NetBeans is the biggest competitor with great ideas.

You might think so, but Textmate does just fine while RadRails has been
free.

... So, I've decided to pursue a commercial fork of RDT and RadRails. ...
is the idea to use the commercial RDT/RadRails as full time job,
or just like at the moment with the advantage of earning some money?

i don't think there is a big market for a commercial RDT/RadRails version.
Perhaps it's a better idea to let the features togehter in the versions.
but add the need of registration(buying) for organisations and commercial
use
and let the free version available for private use or non comercial user.

I'm not sure if the license we have for RDT and RadRails allows this
distinction. Also, it'd be pretty hard to enforce something like this.

it's a shame that great projects like yours aren't appreciated as they
deserve.
i think thats a major problem with free/os software. everybody likes and
uses it.
but that's not paying the delopers bills. but i believe in open source
though.

whats about linking DLTK and RDT together? possible or never ever?

DLTK has decided to pursue their project on their own. They've built an
entirely separate infrastructure. At best I think we'd be able to take a
peek at their code (and they at ours)  and try to adapt it to RDT.

i think IBM should support RDT and RadRails. Push it to the next level as
competitor
to NetBeans. Ever thought about requesting collaboration with IBM?

We've never formally asked IBM to sponsor us, but considering that DLTK is
out there now as an official Eclipse project that moment may have passed.

Would be a nice advertise for there Eclipse platform i think.

if there will be a commercial fork. i wish you all the best. and hopefully
it
will be successfull. but for me as private person and spare time rails
developer
it's no alternative. :(

whats about the 0.9 RDT version? will this version be available with all
the new shiny,
long waited features for free. or is it still scheduled for a commercial
release?

0.9.0 is still coming and it's still open source. RDT will always be
open-source. My commercial fork will build on top of RDT and RadRails and
will have a separate release cycle.

Thanks,
Chris
--