On Thu, 2021-09-23 at 21:10 -0700, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 7:48:35 PM UTC-7 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>
> > 2, 4, 6, and 7 are addressed by Conda, Nix, Guix, Homebrew, or even
> > Gentoo Prefix.
> >

> Item 7 of my list, pip-installability, is definitely not addressed by any
> of these. From a Python dev viewpoint, a project that is not
> pip-installable does not exist.

The only concrete complaint I saw in #7 was "Python users would again
need root access to install a system package to get [gfortran]."

I admit to having very little understanding of your larger plan for
pip-installability and modularizing sagelib. I've read all of the
comments about it, but I still don't see what the gfortran SPKG has to
do with it.