On Thu, 2021-09-23 at 21:57 -0700, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 9:09:45 PM UTC-7 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>
> > Item #2 happened, incidentally, only because we've copy & pasted so
> > many packages into sage pretending to be a linux distribution.
> > Eliminating that problem altogether begins right here, at the root of
> > the dependency tree.
> >

> I don't think so. The packages that were not ready for gcc 11 support at
> that time also were not ready upstream nor in other Linux distributions
> (see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/31786). The issue is not so much that
> we duplicate work by linux distributions but rather that Sage has
> effectively adopted many poorly maintained or semi-abandoned math packages.

The list of blockers there implicates,

  * gcc
  * eclib
  * singular
  * ntl
  * gfortran
  * libgd
  * ecl
  * lcalc
  * fplll
  * giac

all of which are available on Fedora 34, and pretty much everywhere.
lcalc and fplll have the smallest number of entries in
build/pkgs/$pkg/distros, with seven.

While they may not all have been patched upstream (lcalc upstream was
gone), I'm fairly sure they were all patched in Gentoo or sage-on-
gentoo before they were patched in sage itself -- especially if I
change that wording to "patched in a release." I'd also bet that Conda,
Nix, and friends had it all sorted out before sage did. And all without
wasting sage developers' time (except for those of us who maintain the
distro packages, too, and who got to do everything twice).

We are only concerned about gcc-11 support in any of those packages
because we're supporting their SPKGs. But, for a while, the SPKGs have
had superior alternatives. Delete the SPKGs and you might run into some
other corner cases, but you certainly aren't going to hit gcc-11 build
failures if you aren't building.