On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 9:09:45 PM UTC-7 Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> Item #2 happened, incidentally, only because we've copy & pasted so
> many packages into sage pretending to be a linux distribution.
> Eliminating that problem altogether begins right here, at the root of
> the dependency tree.

I don't think so. The packages that were not ready for gcc 11 support at
that time also were not ready upstream nor in other Linux distributions
(see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/31786). The issue is not so much that
we duplicate work by linux distributions but rather that Sage has
effectively adopted many poorly maintained or semi-abandoned math packages.