On Fri, 24 Sep 2021, 17:30 Matthias Koeppe, <matthiaskoe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 9:03:20 AM UTC-7 Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 4:43 PM Matthias Koeppe <matthia...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> you are shifting the work from our working spkg-install.in script to
>>> handholding users who attempt [install of gcc from source] on the mailing
>>> lists.
>>>

>> We spoiled the users, they assumed that Sage is a distribution. Yes,
>> there will be a short while they'll ask - and the answer will be:
>> RTFM/apt-get install gfortran/brew install gcc/...
>>

> You might recall that in 2020 I wrote the system-package recommendation
> scripts, a virtual beekeeper if you will, to reduce the workload of those
> answering the repeated questions by users on the mailing list regarding
> installation problems.

My surname means "beekeeper" in Russian/Ukrainian, FYI :-P

Your recommendations get routinely ignored, as they are recommendations,
and not laws - one can proceed to building, and ignore them. On the other
hand, if you try to build Sage without any C compiler on the PATH, you'll
be forced to install one, in no uncertain terms.

It would be unwise to make changes to the Sage distribution that provoke a