On Friday, 24 September 2021 at 11:12:38 UTC-7 wst...@gmail.com wrote:

> In conflict with all of the above, I also personally wish there were a
> significantly smaller Sage core with much less
> dependencies, and which removes everything from the Sage that annoys Dima,
> and much more.    This is a difficult
> technical challenge, since it would certainly involve changing core parts
> of the library.  E.g., it would be nice to have
> a working Sage that doesn't depend on Maxima or GAP being present, but
> still starts up and is generally useful
> for the rest of what Sage does.    Creating such a thing involves making
> significant changes to the assumptions that
> can be made in the Sage library code about what they assume is available
> by default.
>
> Be careful what you wish for! Although in this particular case you may not
get it anyway, so it wouldn't be a problem. If there are different degrees
to which you can have "sage installed" there's a whole new  slew of
problems that arise: if someone has a problem in such a situation, they
need to figure if they have a partial sagemath install and if so, which
parts are missing and if their absence causes the problem. I think this
would similarly lead to people not recommending to install sagemath. I
think an inevitable corollary of having components of sage not mandatory is
that support and maintenance of these components deteriorates.

Note that Ken not advising people to install sage doesn't necessarily mean
he doesn't advise people to use it. For many people who are not
particularly computer-literate, using cloud-based solutions nowadays may be
a sensible option. I think for sage there is something called CoCalc that
might do a reasonable job.

I do think it is important that we do package sage in a way that  a lot of
people can productively install it, though, and especially that it's easy
to get a development-capable installation. On a positive note, a student of
mine was able to get  a source install on Windows via cygwin running
recently. I understand it wasn't pleasant experience, but the student did
succeed without outside help -- I was impressed. I would have advised WSL2,
which worked quite well for me when I tried it on Win10.

He did note that the Cygwin binary distributions available at
https://github.com/sagemath/sage-windows/releases only go to 9.3 -- and
there were some functional differences between 9.3 and 9.4 that lead to
incompatibilities for https://github.com/nbruin/RiemannTheta that should
eventually get incorporated in sage to resolve the 12-year old ticket
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/6371. This is partially an experiment to
see if offering new functionality initially as a separate pip-installable
package improves development and early availability [like a preprint server
...]. One big downside I already found is that "sage -pip install ...
--user" doesn't work. People need a LOT of knowledge to use a sagemath
python module that is not installed in the main sage tree (which may not be
writable for them!).