On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 12:28:02 PM UTC-7 Matthias Koeppe wrote:

> On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 11:12:38 AM UTC-7 wst...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I also personally wish there were a significantly smaller Sage core with
>> much less
>> dependencies, and which removes everything from the Sage that annoys
>> Dima, and much more.    This is a difficult
>> technical challenge, since it would certainly involve changing core parts
>> of the library.  E.g., it would be nice to have
>> a working Sage that doesn't depend on Maxima or GAP being present, but
>> still starts up and is generally useful
>> for the rest of what Sage does.    Creating such a thing involves making
>> significant changes to the assumptions that
>> can be made in the Sage library code about what they assume is available
>> by default.
>>

> Yes, this is exactly what modularization is doing.
> https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29705

It works by defining subsets (namespace packages) of the Sage library that
are carefully designed around the dependencies on compiled
(non-pip-installable) libraries.

For example, https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/32432 defines a distribution
sagemath-polyhedra with minimal dependencies. This work needs help in
disentangling some basic library code (such as for integers, integer
matrices, etc.) that depends on too many libraries simultaneously (PARI and
FLINT and NTL and ....)

The benefit of constructing such distributions is: It has a clearly
definable goal; when done, it can immediately be advertised to potential
new users; and it does not compromise the usefulness of the Sage
distribution for old users on the way there.