On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 6:26 PM William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 9:03 AM Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote
> > We spoiled the users, they assumed that Sage is a distribution. Yes,
> there will be a short while they'll ask - and the answer will be:
> > RTFM [...]
>
> I don't want to do that to our users.  Sage was started to compete with
> [Magma | Mathematica | Maple], so the install process for Sage needed to
> compete with what [Magma | Mathematica | Maple] offers.   A few weeks ago,
> I was bummed that Ken Ribet [1] was lamenting on Facebook that he does NOT
> recommend that people install Sage, because it is too confusing or likely
> to be broken.  Something like [2, 3] but for Sage would go a long way to
> help.

Does Ken build Sage from source? I guess he does not, and
yes, Sage binaries on macOS in particular are total crap - in part thanks
to "let's vendor everything moving" approach,
in part thanks to Apple being bad to developers.

> Hopefully going forward, we can spoil users of Sage even more than we
> already are.

Sage is trying to bite more than it can chew, and it is badly needs to slim
down, before becoming a total crap nobody uses.
If one wants to spoil (in the good way) Sage users on macOS, more brew
formulas are needed for Sage packages.
Then a similar to Sage on Debian Sage package might be possible.
This is totally orthogonal to vendoring things needlessly.