I just ran into this problem on a machine with 512 GB of ram, where the
Sage virtual memory usage is around 128 GB. Volker might consider that a
tiny fraction of the possible address space, but it still seems a bit
ridiculous. I noticed this when I tried to use @parallel to 64 processes.
(overcommit_memory is set to 2 on this machine.) I could @parallel(2) but
not @parallel(3).

I can change the overcommit settings, but not everyone is so lucky. I
haven't actually tried (I'm just using an old version of sage for now) and
I don't actually know what the default overcommit policy would do with
this. 8 TB is not such a small fraction of the possible address space
anymore. Also, there could be situations where I want to fork significantly
more processes than the number of cpus. Also, 2 TB of ram is not so
unreasonable these days (is PARI going allocate 500 GB?) and neither is >
64 cores, so this seems like it could be problematic for some users, and,
in any case, it is annoying.