On 2016-09-19 19:01, William Stein wrote:
We should revert whatever trac ticket did this

The first version of this is from
https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/19883

or at least make it an option to not allocate such a large address space.

That's easy to do. How would you see the user interface for this?

This huge vm
allocation is clearly an even worse hack dealing with PARI's very
hackish "memory management".

It is really not so bad as it looks. Let me recall that this is only about *virtual memory*. Normally, there are no consequences to allocating a huge amount of virtual memory. Apparently, there are unusual Linux settings in which it does cause problems. Unfortunately, I don't see an easy solution for this.

Making it the default is surprising.

I am open for suggestions, what would you make the default then?