On 2016-09-19 13:02, Jonathan Bober wrote:
If I ulimit -v 8 GB, say, (which is 512/64), and the PARI allocater
immediately grabs 2 GB of the virtual address space for itself, then
that seems like it leaves only 6 GB for malloc/sage_malloc/whatever
else, which would be effectively limiting the physical memory available
in some situations.

Then use a larger value for "ulimit -v" or add some swap space.

This is not the default, and you probably wouldn't want to
run your laptop this way

But it is an advanced setting. Given that, I assume that you are clever enough to do the right thing.