On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 8:29 AM, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be>
wrote:

> Why don't you use ulimit -v to limit the per-process available memory?
> That would make sense when starting lots of processes even without the PARI
> non-issue.

Because I was being stupid. That seems like it should work ok.

But in that case the memory does effectively get "used", if it is the case
that a quarter of the machine's memory is only available from the PARI
memory allocater. If I'm not using the PARI parts of Sage, is that memory
completely wasted?