Apologies to all; I don't mean to treat this list as my own personal
development blog. However, here's a rock steady 50Hz, full-screen
rendition:

http://www.clocksignal.com/dropbox/scroller-fullscreen-50Hz.dsk

There are two versions on there and some quick relevant notes. Takeaways:

• the border masking is overdraw and I'd rather fix the problem by
just not drawing incorrectly in the first place;
• that being the case, I've only properly profiled the unmasked
version, and found it takes no more than 60% of the available CPU time
per frame in its current state.