By contrast, when you do a commit,

Ah!  That is a very convincing explanation.

    In any event, let's wait for the GNU sysadmins.

I don't advise waiting for them.  They are busy.  This kind of
complicated mail problem will be low priority for them.  You have
analyzed the problem.  Now let's see if we can confirm and fix.

    3) Stop using their service.

For savannah only.  That is: Ali, can you try changing the email address
on your savannah account to one of your other addresses, so that
log_accum can get to a verifiable address?  As I recall, you were
sending tests from other accounts, so this should be easy?

Then we can see if your commit mail goes out (o happy day).

karl