Dear Dr Kirkby,

I am, as I told you, mostly an user. Whatever small programs I write
are for my personal research and it is of rarely of use to most people
in the world and I would feel flattered if anyone would want to copy
my miserable code, and other people's lack of originality is not a
life and death matter for me. I mostly try to get my work done, and
help others get their work done.

My words are not original, you will find all of them in the
dictionary, as Mark Twain pointed out.

My code is rarely original. Most of the ideas I use can be found in
Kernighan & Richie or some such text.

My thoughts are rarely original too.

My research work is also not extremely original or remotely earth-shaking.

I might delude myself into thinking that something that I do is very
original because it draws praise from others because they have not
seen anything like it before, but subconsciously I must have been
reproducing something pre-existing that has inspired me. There is no
point claiming credit for it, or fighting over it.

Every combination I produce over the board has been inspired by all
the tactics exercises I have worked through. In any case, nobody will
care a damn about who the hell is this Aniket Basu, because I am on
the wrong side of thirty and have no past, present or future as a
chess player. And nobody gives a damn about some irrelevant game I
play in my little chess club here (though that should not reduce my
pleasure in playing).

Please realize that to most of your users, those lines in some obscure
parts of your code is irrelevant unless there's a bug-fix. Nobody is
going to look it up, nobody is going to give you any credit. But if
people know that you worked your ass off to produce something useful
for them, as did Pascal, they will respect you for it.

If getting credit is a priority, please take care to mention your name
in the documentation, so that Pascal or anyone can duly acknowledge it
- or not acknowledge, at their risk.

Does Pascal have to reinvent your code? Or would it be more original
or more efficient of him if he merely renamed parts of your code to
hide his tracks? Is he going to make some profit from this that you
would cause you some grudge? Does his work amount to plagiarism with
major benefits that are undeserved?

If not, please make your peace with Pascal.

I am sure both of you are doing some work that is useful to all of us.
And there seem to be fewer bugs in your code than there are typos in
your emails so maybe you are better off writing code than bickering
over who should get credit. You and Pascal might even make a good
team, and you can easily acknowledge each other's contribution.

Spare us users the agony of acting the referee over something that is
not our headache. I am sure we would all be extremely appreciative if
you could settle this nicely amongst yourselves - that would a rare,
original effort, and you wouldn't mind other people imitating you
afterwards also in not losing your peace over trivia.

Sorry for the sermon, and thanks for reading,

Regards,

Aniket