Aniket Basu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am sure Dr Kirby did not wish to prolong the debate in public,

That is very true. As you say, I did not send my comments to the list,
but to you privately. Also Christian makes that point.

I want this to stop.

> If Pascal uses his code, why, imitation is known to be the highest
> form of flattery.

Yes, agreed.

Likewise if I use any of Pascal's code for ChessDB, he can consider it
flattery. I'm impressed with some of what Pascal has done. No all of it,
but some I am.

> There is no reason for Dr Kirby to be touchy about his code,

I don't believe I am being touchy, but feel I have *very* good reason to
be *very* annoyed to find large amounts copied, AND the following 3
points. (HAD PASCAL COPIED THE CODE, WITHOUT THESE POINTS, THEN IT WOULD
HAVE BEEN FINE.)

1) Pascal has said "I deny him the right to use my own code, as I'll
never use his own code"

2) Pascal's ChangeLog says "The base of these changes is the latest
Scid-3.6.1 available at http://scid.sourceforge.net";

3) Pascal's explanation for the small amount of copied code with a typo
("Shane is NOT reponsible for bugs in Scid") was "The sentence you quote
belongs to a mail you sent to me and I copied/pasted it to my code".

4) He has stated numerous times that ChessDB is a fork of Scid, but
Scid-pg is not a fork.

It is clear to me, and anyone else who is *objective* about this, that

A) Pascal was *knowingly* using my code when he said "I deny him the
right to use my own code, as I'll never use his own code"

B) Pascal knew the base of his code was http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/
when he wrote it was http://scid.sourceforge.net/

C) Pascal knew the explanation for the inclusion of my typo (him simply
  copying and pasting from an email I sent) was a lie.

Anyway, I think we have ALL had enough of this.

Dr. David Kirkby.