I read Jared Diamond's Collapse, and I felt its message that the so-called
conflict between "development" and the environment is a false one, so
relevant to our times. Diamond gives examples of socities that have lived
next to each other and shows how the ones that respected nature were the
ones that prospered. A poignant question he asks about the environment
disaster in Easter Island is, "What was the man who cut down the last tree
on Easter Island thinking?" I am afraid we are not too far away from asking
that question ourselves.

Venky