On 15 September 2016 at 13:40, Sandhya aka Sandy <sandhya.varn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> So I'm back to the grind, not exactly loving it, and come to terms with
> what that gives to my life. However, with this whole exercise, I have a
> clearer path to retirement, have things sorted in my head, and I try to
> make more time for the things I want to do.

I have been out of corporate life (if I could call it that ) for the past
two and a half years. So far luck has been running in my favor in working
independently, but I see your point about losing certain securities
provided by corporate life which can be a barrier.

One thing I noticed coming back to India is this problem of age-ism, for
lack of a better word. People want to slot you into certain kinds of jobs
and roles based on your age (I speak here only for the ICT sector), and
there is the pressure of well-wishers and relatives and what-not in terms
of where do you go to work ? why are you always in shorts and such ?
Shouldn't you be a manager of something or someone ? This was a bit
difficult for me to get used to, since I was not prepared for it.  This
seems to be a general attitude problem

I was in a good corporate position but didn't actually change my lifestyle
substantially when I was there, perhaps that has helped. I have never owned
a house, only bought a car after coming back to India, not had a TV for
years, never taken a loan or seen a need to take one, tried to combine all
my holidays with work-related travel etc. Perhaps the only expensive
indulgences were a few vices, most of which I have had to cut down anyway
as I have become a lot more health conscious.

The nicest thing is I have a lot of time for my kids, or at least I have
the freedom to plan my time with them,  and there is no commuting to work.