On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 8:42 PM, Udhay Shankar N <ud...@pobox.com> wrote:

> ​Something just floated past on the clickstream that seemed appropriate in
> this context:​
>
> http://www.npr.org/2016/03/17/469822644/8-ways-you-can-
> survive-and-thrive-in-midlife
>
> 8 Ways You Can Survive — And Thrive In — Midlife 7:52

On this sub-thread, the following is amazingly well written by our good
friend Peter Drucker: "Managing Oneself". The whole article is a great
read, but of specific relevance to this discussion is the final section
called "The Second Half of Your Life". He has published slightly different
versions of the article under the same title at different times. Here is
one I found in a Google Search:

http://academic.udayton.edu/LawrenceUlrich/LeaderArticles/Drucker%20Managing%20Oneself.pdf

*"..We hear a great deal about the midlife crisis of the executive. It is
mostly boredom. At 45, most executives have reached the peak of their
business careers, and they know it. After 20 years of doing very much the
same kind of work, they are very good at their jobs. But they are not
learning or contributing or deriving challenge and satisfaction from the
job. And yet they are still likely to face another 20 if not 25 years of
work, That is why managing oneself increasingly leads one to begin a second
career.*

*... There is one prerequisite for managing the second half of your life:
you must begin long before you enter it. ... If one does not begin
volunteering before one is 40 or so, one will not volunteer once past 60...*

*... There is another reason to develop a second major interest, and to
develop it early. No one can expect to live very long without experiencing
a serious setback in his or her life or work. There is the competent
engineering who is passed over for promotion at age 45. There is the
competent college professor who realise at age 42 when will never get a
professorship at a big university, even though she may be fully qualified
for it. There are tragedies in one's family life: the breakup of one's
marriage or the loss of a child. At such times, a second major interest -
not just a hobby - may make all the difference. The engineer, for example,
now knows that he has not been very successful in his job. But in his
outside activity - as church treasurer, for example - he is a success."*