Very Nice!  Been doing the same with my own version for ~ 35 years,
started off whittling a clothes pin down to a point, then ex-flytying
hackle pliers, then alligator clips; unscrew the little buggers.  Tried
all the smothering techniques,, minimal success.  During tick season
I'll get maybe 50 a day off the pup - "Tick Patrol" every evening -
toast them with the lighter, sterility doncha know . . . The very few
that get into me I drop on the hot stove top - well, they aggravate me!
I've also noticed that I get hyper sensitive to tiny crawling sensations
on my skin - no drugs involved<g>.

More recently, past coupla years I've had many examples of ticks
parasitizing ticks; no, this was not illicit incestuous insect love, no
bug buggery; just plain ol' blood-sucking vampirism.  Tough times
a-comin'.
Take care,  M.