From: Malcolm [mailto:s...@asis.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:40 PM
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Subject: RE: CS>OT: cleaning microwave guts

Hi Steve,
No disrespect, but this is a Very Bad idea for a number of reasons.
First, there are nooks and crannies you will never get to where the
water will remain; Second, much tap water is fairly conductive and will
hide under small electronic components on circuit boards, and in the
windings of the high voltage transformer, causing short circuits and
very possibly fires and almost certainly destroying the microwave;
third, putting the device in the tub, often metal, and with grounded
water pipes, almost universal, is an invitation to electrocution.  I'm
glad you've gotten away with it, but that is probably more a combination
of good luck and good (non-conductive) water; fourth, again tap water in
contact with the metal of electronic bits and pieces will corrode them,
and that corrosion itself will disable the electronics inside in short
order.

You have definitely horrified me and I'd urge anyone reading your post
to check with a local electronic appliance repair shop or TV technician
on such a procedure.