Hi Neville,
As a book I once saw had for a title "There Are No Electrons" <g>
We think there are, they are an explanatory device to help us navigate a
world of Energy we try to fiddle with - - well, I see I've run over your
word limit. . . . . .
On the other hand, there ARE "holes"; Oh yes, the very definitive Lack
of electrons.  "Holes" are hungry, or so it seems to us, they are hungry
for - you guessed it - electrons, [which is why there are no electrons,
I guess, sort of like pac-man munching along.] [Except, maybe, at the
philosophical 'zero point', the very belly button of quantum creation,
but I digress.]
Now if the wholly (err,) imaginary electrons are for some mysterious
reason going from 'negative' (another mythological construct) to
'positive' is it not reasonable to expect the "holes" would do the
opposite in their ravenous hunt??  'Course it is!  Which is "really" the
electricity though, clock- or counter-?  Well, like at the ZP, it all
happens at once, both ways.

And indeed these conceptual entities are not waiting in some conceptual
energy "buckets" you could pour out into a wire through the electron or
hole funnels, they are already everywhere, and tend toward equilibrium.
Various influences including our tendency to meddle with stuff, disturbs
this energy equilibrium, and we make use of the disequilibrium for our
own nefarious purposes.