Hi Marshall, we certainly disagree on this one, check out positive and
negative doping of semiconductors, obviously there can be more and
looser - so to speak - electrons within lattice structures and more than
there are protons  to balance them.  Further, due to the strains between
crystal interfaces - polish some metal and etch it and you'll see them -
various parts of any piece of metal will have different quantities of
electron propagation at some voltage across the particular crystal
interfaces.  Also the inherent resistance of various metals and alloys -
compare silver and inconel or even iron for instance - gives an
illustration of the confused and by no means linear effect of electric
pressure on so-called "free" electrons in metals.  In other words,
although the signal travels at just slightly less than the speed of
light, and though I grant that increasing the pressure on an electron
will tend to cause it to be more likely to move, the effective increase
in current in, say, a wire is overwhelmingly a matter of getting more
electrons moving than getting any one, or billion, of them to move
faster from one end of the wire to the other.  More current causes more
heat, causes less current. Anyhow, that's what I was taught; perhaps the
sands have shifted from under my feet, that has happened before.

Superconductivity is another matter, and I don't know anything about
electron flow in superconductors.
Take care,  Malcolm