Hi Jean,

I've never been nailed by a brown recluse - yet - but have been
interested in therapies for various venomous critters since rattlers,
scorpions, black widows and some pretty nasty hornets and ants live
hereabout.  One of these therapies is a remedy for normally 100% fatal
snake bites, and for the moment I can't remember the species or the
location other than semi-tropical.  The remedy however was to apply
electric shock to the site of the bite - as from a lawnmower spark-plug,
though piezo-electric barbecue lighters, etc have also been suggested -
to the area of the bite.  The suggestion was that the electric ZAP
altered the chemistry of the venom, rendering it harmless.  So perhaps
the thera-pik has more to do with it than simply pain reduction?  (BTW,
enzymes are not alive, they're like organic facilitators for reactions,
but your analogy makes sense.)  If I track down the reference for the
info on the snake-bite thing I'll post it, seems a brief shock might
beat weeks of pain and tissue necrosis.

Thanks for continuing the story, never mind the piffles, they litter the
landscape.

Take care,
Malcolm