jr orrilia wrote:
Hi Marshall. Could I ask you how much baking soda and how much citric acid? Also, what does citric acid do. I will be doing the same. Orrilia

**
The citric acid changes the sodium bicarbonate to sodium citrate. All of the bubbles that leave would be generated in your body and have to be expelled by the lungs or burping if the acid is not added, and the CO2 in the blood will acidify it, at least short term. But of more concern is that baking soda will reduce your stomach acid, forcing the body to make more. If you continue to do this long term, it will be like taking antacids continually, which can result in the either insufficient acid to properly digest your food when taken with the water, or excessive acid when not drinking the water resulting in heartburn. Also it is much easier for the body to deal with sodium citrate than sodium bicarbonate.

Lets take a look at what happens when you take sodium bicarbonate: When it hits the stomach it raises the pH of the stomach and becomes salt and CO2. What CO2 is not absorbed into the blood to be expelled by the lungs is belched. The body immediately starts making more HCl to replace that which was neutralized by the sodium bicarbonate. The biproduct of the HCl production is sodium bicarbonate again, but in the blood this time. Now the sudden increase in pH has to be counteracted by withholding CO2 in the blood to bring the pH back to the normal range, or expelled by the kidneys wasting it. Increased CO2 in the blood makes one tired and weary and high pH levels in the urine can promote an infection..

Now with sodium citrate we get the following: There is no reaction in the stomach, the pH of the stomach only changes slightly (like drinking plain water). The sodium citrate moves into the blood stream as sodium citrate. Now sodium citrate is a salt and has a pH of 7, and does not effect the blood pH at all (actually it will lower it very slightly due to the buffering effect which makes acids more alkaline and alkalines more acid). When the body needs a way to alkalize itself, any fat it burns, or any food you eat, it will metabolize the sodium citrate first, instead of pulling calcium from your bones or robbing other areas of the body. When sodium citrate is metabolized it produces sodium sodium bicarbonate. But the thing is, the conversion is at the body's request and need, and it will only convert it as it needs to to maintain pH.

This is a repost of what I posted before:

I was unable to find sodium citrate locally, so I did make my own. Turned out to be very easy.

1. Put one level tablespoon of baking soda and citric acid powder each in an 8 to 12 ounce glass 2. Add about 2 ounces of water (1/4 full for the 8 oz glass). (if you put more than this it might foam over) 3. let foam until it diminishes, then stir. Continue stiirring until foaming diminishes
4. add another 2 oz of water, that is make an 8 oz glass half full.
5. stir until foaming stops.

You should have near 100% sodium citrate, with a little citric acid left over. The water should be crystal clear. If you taste it it should have a slightly sour taste. If you take the pH it should be about 6.5 to 6.8 or so. Now add a little baking soda ( 1/4 teaspoon) and stir until foaming stops. Continue this until no foaming occurs after adding the soda (or the only bubbles you are getting are from the CO2 dissolved in the water). (this occurred on the 3rd addition for me) If you taste it it should taste salty, but not sour or bitter. If you test the pH it should measure between 7.0 and 7.2. It is not imperative that you get it alkaline unless you are adding pH drops to it, and since pH drops are nothing more than diluted MMS, if you leave it acid it will activate the MMS.

You should have about 1 1/2 tablespoons of sodium citrate now. To alkalize the water, I have been putting one ounce of this solution into a gallon of water, actually putting the full amount into my 5 gallon container. If you taste the water after it is added, you can detect a slight amount of mineral taste, but it is very slight and not objectionable at all, at least to me.

I would highly suggest taking a calcium, magnesium and potassium supplement if you are drinking this water to be sure and maintain proper electrolyte balance.

BTW, my urine pH when I tested it this morning was between 7.0 and 7.2, which is considered optimal, after drinking the water all day yesterday. Even my wife, who has had diabetes for 2 decades is testing optimal now. Unfortunately I do not have a baseline though since I did not get the testing paper until last night. I would watch my pH very carefully, if it gets too alkaline, then you need to use less in your water.

Also I am thinking about using the undiluted solution in place of salt when cooking. That would be pretty cool, an alkalizing salt.

Marshall