You should supplement with the building blocks of bone. These include: calcium,
Vitamin D, Vitamin K, Vitamin C, boron, manganese, zinc, silica, strontium, B
vitamins and magnesium. You may want to include Hyaluronic Acid and Boswella
Serrata. Resveratrol is also beneficial. (Information links provided below).

>From what I have seen, you need to increase IGF-1 levels to really reverse
>osteoporosis. Studies have shown that IGF-1 levels can be increased by
>exercise, prunes, creatine, whey protein, dairy products and zinc oxide.
>Information links are provided below.

 - Steve N

Hyaluronic Acid and Boswella Serrata:

http://www.wellnessresources.com/tips/articles/tips_for_building_strong_and_healthy_bones_new_breakthroughs_in_bone_h/

"It has long been known that bone exists as a matrix of protein mainly in the
form of collagen to which minerals are attached.  The protein matrix is
responsible for the toughness and the minerals are responsible for the
stiffness of bone.  In order to have strong bones it is vital to have a healthy
relationship between the protein matrix and the attached minerals.
Up until the end of 2007 it was taught in all bone biology classes that the
minerals were directly attached to protein molecules.  U.K. researchers from
the University of Cambridge have quietly shocked the entire bone world and
opened up a treasure-trove of natural options for individuals to strengthen
bone.
In a recent study they showed that it was actually sugar molecules that linked
the minerals to the collagen-protein matrix.  These sugar molecules form the
structural blueprint and the adhesive connections that make bone strength
possible.  This is a dramatic new discovery.
Specifically, the sugar molecules identified by the researchers are called
glycosaminoglycans (GAGs), which means many sugars strung together in repeating
units - a type of complex carbohydrate.  Using advanced imaging technology, the
researchers proved, for the very first time, that these sugar molecules are
responsible for the linking attachments between proteins and minerals that
enable bone to form.  In fact, they are directly responsible for the
symmetrical formation of bone that enables bone strength.  GAGs are directly
responsible for modulating mineral size and crystalline structure.
The most important GAG is called Hyaluronic Acid (HA).  It is a combination of
two sugars (D-Glucoronic Acid and N-Acetyl-Glucosamine) that form one unit
referred to as a disaccharide.  One molecule of HA has as many as 10,000
disaccharide units, making it a very large and long molecule.  For many years
scientists thought this simple long molecule didn't do much of anything except
fill space and provide joint lubrication.  Now scientists understand that HA
acts as a template to assist in the formation of new body structure.  In other
words, HA is to the human body what soil is to a crop.
HA is the fundamental GAG, but it is used as a building block to form other
types of GAGs that play unique and important roles in different body
structures.  These other GAGs have an HA spine, and then use sulfur to form
more specific GAG structures such as chondroitin sulfate (cartilage), keratin
sulfate (cartilage and bone), dermatin sulfate (skin and blood vessels), and
heparin sulfate (cell membranes).  GAGs are the fundamental alphabet that
enables any kind of body tissue to form and have shape.
The new research is groundbreaking as it proves that GAG molecules are the
essential glue that not only holds bone together but also guides the formation
of a bone's proper three dimensional integrity and crystalline shape.  Without
enough GAGs bone crystals form in an unregulated manner resulting in weaker
bones.
In practical terms this means that adding Hyaluronic Acid to a basic bone
support program"

" One of the major problems in maintaining healthy bones over the course of a
lifetime is keeping a proper balance between osteoclasts (the demo crew) and
osteoblasts (the new construction crew).  Both most act in harmony.  In cases
of bone-related stress and wear and tear it appears osteoclasts get carried
away and osteoblasts take a nap.
An answer to this problem has emerged from the new field of osteoimmunology.
And once again, the discovery is of immense importance to any individual
concerned about maintaining healthy bones.
This new science shows that macrophages (immune cells) and osteoclasts (the
demo crew) come from the same parent cell.  Thus, as cells begin to take form
from basic stem cells there are options as to what they might become.  A key
switch has been identified called NFkappaB.  If the NFkappaB switch is too
active, then too many osteoclasts are made.  If the NFkappaB switch is in more
normal operation, then osteoclasts are produced at a more optimal level, likely
in better balance with its companion, osteoblasts.  Once again, this is a
revolutionary discovery in bone health.
The NF KappaB switch is actually part of the intelligence of a cell.  When it
is on too often it means the cell is overheating or inflamed.  Stress is a
major factor that causes excessive NFkappaB activation.  Numerous nutrients
interact with the NFkappaB switch, and some have been documented to interact
specifically in bone to modulate healthy bone function.
One of the top nutrients in this regard is boswella serrata"

Strontium:

http://www.whale.to/a/wright_h.html
"There is just the best controlled, double-blind, placebo-controlled research
out there that the element strontium, when combined with calcium and Vitamin D,
can dramatically help to reverse osteoporosis. The latest study reported a gain
of 15 percent over three years in bone in the spine and 9 percent in the hip,
and there is no patent medicine on the market that comes close. And the
strontium's in all the health food stores."

http://ezinearticles.com/?Strontium-For-Osteoporosis-Treatment?-Calcium-and-Vitamin-D-Are-Essential-For-Success&id=3095817
"Research has shown that strontium can make a significant contribution to bone
health without any apparent side effects. From 2002 to 2007, the French
pharmaceutical company Servier conducted a study on 1,649 women with
osteoporosis over a three year period and found an increase of 14.4 percent in
lumbar bone mineral density and 8.3 percent increase in the femoral neck. A
later study conducted over five years on 5,000 women with osteoporosis found a
9.8% improvement in total hip density."

Resveratrol:

www.geddarkstorm.livejournal.com/188959.html
" Bone density is significantly increased[50] (prevents osteoporosis) and
joints are protected[60,61,62] along with vitamin D receptor
upregulation[63,64], arteries stay healthy[65], metabolic dysfunction is not
seen, and genetic markers stay similar to healthy young individuals[52,65,66]."

Prunes:

http://www.betterbones.com/blog/post/Can-prunes-reverse-bone-loss.aspx

http://www.betterbones.com/blog/post/update-on-prunes-reversing-bone-loss.aspx

Creatine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14741375?dopt=Abstract

http://www.musculardevelopment.com/articles/supplements/2048-creatine-increases-satellite-cell-activity-and-igf-1-mrna-in-skeletal-muscle.html
" Creatine Increases IGF-1 mRNA Activity and Satellite Cell Activation.
New studies have been published which is turning new and novel mechanisms for
Cr [Creatine] increases muscle mass.  One of the ways Cr may be increasing
muscle hypertrophy is thru increasing IGF-1 mRNA.  Among the known growth
factors, IGF-1 is known to stimulate satellite cell activity as well as protein
synthesis, as well as increasing muscle hypertrophy. In fact, IGF-1 is such a
potent stimulator of muscle hypertrophy that infusion of local IGF-1 directly
to skeletal muscles has shown increases muscle mass22. It was earlier reported
that when muscle cells were cultured in test tubes, the addition of Cr resulted
in improved cell differentiation and increased expression of IGF-1 mRNA21. So
what about human studies?  Human studies have also shown that Cr
supplementation increases mRNA IGF-1 activity as well.  In a double-blind
cross-over design, muscle biopsies were taken from the vastus lateralis of
resistance trained men at rest and 3 and 24 hours post exercise who had taken
Cr or a protein /carbohydrate drink for 5 days. After Cr supplementation,
resting muscle expressed more mRNA for IGF-I (+30%). Exercise also caused an
increase by 3 h postexercise in IGF-I (+24%) and by 24 h postexercise in IGF-I
(+29%), but this effect was not increased by Cr supplementation. It's
interesting that in the study, Cr increased mRNA IGF-1 activity without
exercise, but taking Cr and exercise did not augment the response.  The
researchers concluded that the increase in lean body mass often reported after
Cr supplementation could be mediated by signaling pathway(s) involving muscle
mRNA IGF-123."

Zinc oxide:

Zinc oxide has been shown to increase IGF-1 bothas an oral and topical
application.