For ages 3 PPM was the standard as it started to go yellow at around 5 PPM,
now usually 10 and up to 20 as CS makers began to understand the process.
 Going higher gets progressively into unstable territory where air exposure
and contaminants play more significant roles with greater levels of
supersaturation forcing dissolved ions out of solution.

According to Brigham Young University  tests, as little as 3 parts per
billion would sterilize toilet bowl water, it just took a lot longer than 3
Parts Per million.
Ode