Absolutely, that is why NaOH conducts electricity so well, the
disassociation.  But the fact is that it is called sodium hydroxide
solution (IE. Aldrich chemical #41,541-3 50% sodium hydroxide
solution).  I see no difference between that and silver hydroxide,
except that silver hydroxide is unstable in the solid form, converting
to silver oxide.

This originated because I was comparing silver ions in water to silver
compounds, and was challenged that silver ions are not the same as
silver compounds.  I see no difference between dissolving silver
hydroxide (a compound) in water giving Ag+ and OH- and in using
electrolysis to produce silver ions and OH ions, which in water is
exactly the same thing as if I dissolved silver hydroxide in the water,
ignoring the stability of solid silver hydroxide issue.

Marshall

[email protected] wrote:

> In a message dated 8/24/2001 12:59:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
>
>
>> Subj:Re: CS>AG+ and AG0
>> Date:8/24/2001 12:59:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>> From:    [email protected] (Marshall Dudley)
>> Reply-to: [email protected]
>> To:    [email protected] (*Silver-List*)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Ivan Anderson wrote:
>>
>> > A compound is associated by a covalent or ionic bond, that is not
>> the case
>> > here.
>>
>> Just why do the rules of chemistry change when we are talking about
>> silver?
>>  I
>> don't believe they do.  If you have OH- and Na+ in water you have
>> sodium
>> hydroxide in water, and there are ionic bonds between the OH and the
>> Na.
>> If you
>> have Ag+ and OH- you have the same thing.
>>
>> Marshall
>
> Marshall: If I could to jump in here for a minute... Sodium hydroxide
> in
> water is NOT the same as anhydrous sodium hydroxide. The associations
> between
> the cation, Na+ and the anion, OH- in solid sodium hydroxide are
> altered
> significantly when sodium hydroxide dissolves in water, just as the
> physical
> and chemical properties of water itself change when it contains a
> dissolved
> compound. Roger