In a message dated 8/24/2001 2:33:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email protected] writes:


> This originated because I was comparing silver ions in water to silver 
> compounds, and was challenged that silver ions are not the same as silver 
> compounds.  I see no difference between dissolving silver hydroxide (a 
> compound) in water giving Ag+ and OH- and in using electrolysis to produce 
> silver ions and OH ions, which in water is exactly the same thing as if I 
> dissolved silver hydroxide in the water, ignoring the stability of solid 
> silver hydroxide issue. Marshall 
> 

Marshall: One way to detect any difference is to compare the pH for a given 
PPM Ag+ from silver hydroxide and electrolytically produced silver ions. This 
question may be more complicated that we would like considering the 
instabilities you just mentioned PLUS the formation of both ionic and well as 
particulate silver during electrolysis. Roger