"I've been to places where you could literally walk up the side of a wall due
to unexplained differences in gravity and the Earth's electromagnetic field.
Watching a ball roll up hill is an interesting experience to get the mind
working "out of the box", though being in such an area can disturb the body to
the point of developing an upset stomach similiar to being sea sick!"

I recall seeing, many years ago, a TV special on the weird and wonderful that
featured an odd house called "the spot" or "the place" where just such apparent
phenomena were recorded on camera. Turned out though it was all careful
illusion - the house was built with oddly sloping walls, floor and ceiling that
tricked the senses.

"It is obvious that these associations indicate that the entire process of the
electrochemical production of colloidal silver is ruled by lunar influence. For
that matter, all chemical processes are inextricably directed by celestial
authority. It is essential to understand then, when the most propitious times
occur to conceive these suspensions. With respect to the production of
colloidal silver, lunar influence tables must be consulted. We know that tides
are a direct manifestation of lunar forces, but there are also atmospheric
tides which play an important role in the understanding of how the moon affects
chemical reactions."

Witches and those of a similar ilk may well concur with that, but thankfully
today chemistry has supplanted alchemy. It is the extreme reproducibility of
chemical and more generally physical process and law that enables scientists to
verify and exchange results to great accuracy on a worldwide basis; quite
regardless of moon phases or other astrological signs. Or do we conclude that
those tables of constants running to 6, 8, 10, even to 20 or more significant
figures are a massive fraud - a pretense at accuracies rendered impossible
because "For that matter, all chemical processes are inextricably directed by
celestial authority"? Not likely, I would suggest.

"Plutarch instructed that the full moon caused such an increase in moisture
that it made timber, wheat, and other grains which were cut at this time more
likely to become decayed and rotten. If cut at the new moon, they would be dry
and brittle. The medieval medical practise of bleeding was to be governed
according to lunar phases and their attendant proportions of moisture...... Dr.
E. J. Andrews, in 1960, confirmed that bleeding is worse around full moons than
at any other time. Thousands of post-op records were compared to the dates of
lunar phases showing a remarkable 82 percent of post-op bleeding episodes
occurred on or around the full moon. Several other researchers and doctors
would confirm his findings."

Here, in the realm of subtle biochemical and physiological/phsychological
phenomena, there is indeed plenty of evidence for some kind of lunar phase
association, but little if any in the way of a credible mechanism for lunar
causation.

"Since it has been demonstrated that mental activity can influence matter
perhaps the mental state of the experimenter may influence the production of
CS." "Considering there are people like Uri Geller in this wondrous universe,
you may have a point"
"Uri Geller has nothing top do with it. Quantum physicists are learning that
the observer influences the observed. The utcome is different for different
observers. This has nothing to do with bending spoons, whether truly done with
the mind, or slight of hand."

Uri Geller was long ago exposed by Randi as a fraud. The quantum mechanical
conundrum of interlinked observer and observed plays out on an extremely
delicate level, in accordance with strict probabilistic rules that have nothing
to do with mental attitude affecting chemical reactions, and most certainly not
on a macroscopic scale.

"I have proven using a scanning spectorphotometer that one's thoughts can
easily and consistently change the structure of water...... Procedures required
that anything we ship meet quality assurance, but the IBM personal computer was
so poorly designed an built that QC would not approve it.  The president forced
them to ship them anyway, but I had the very strong opinion that they were all
unreliable pieces of junk.  Well, we all got IBM computers to work with in
engineering, and mine would constantly bomb and lock up. I could not do
anything for more than a few minutes without it crashing.  They would
ship it back and get another one and it would do the same.  I would go to the
other engineers offices and see if they were having the same problem, but they
would all report that theirs never crashed, except when I would go in and ask,
then they would crash.  It got where I was not allowed in the other engineers'
offices when they were working on their computers because they claimed I
crashed their system.  Anyway, they finally allowed me to build a clone
computer for about 1/4th the
cost of an IBM, and it never crashed.  Finally all the computers in engineering
were swapped out to cheap clones, and none of the ever crashed like they did
before.

It was many years before I realized that the expectation of them being
unreliable was what was causing the crashes.  There are many example of this,
such as the cold fusion experimentation where those that expect it almost
always get positive results and those who don't think it is possible usually
get negative results. (that is why this is called a consensus reality, what is
real is what the majority thinks is real!)"

Possibly the individual concerned has some special gift or a familiar spirit or
whatever - I have heard several "friend of a friend" accounts where street
lamps would die when a certain individual walked near them, only to revive
again later when out of range. This kind of thing however belongs not in the
chemistry, phsics, or even metaphysics of CS production, but in the
supernatural realm, IMHO.

"The Borderlands article is interesting, but is only one data point.  What is
needed are more carefully conducted experiments, as Marshall indicates, to
determine that the phenomena is repeatable, and isolating the variation to just
one cause such as lunar position.  Until that is done, the one experiment is
statistically insignificant."

Quite so. And in the mean time, it would be a good idea to assume the
painstakingly verified normal laws of chemistry and physics work consistently
well.

Kevin Nolan