I would never use it unless I needed to hook it up to batteries, but it was interesting, and fun, and I got a much better grasp of what the process of making CS is like.
Sol.
 Your gen will run off batteries too.
Your particular model probably needs at least 18 volts and something under 36...the newer ones, as little as 9 volts. AC or DC input doesn't matter and you can't hook it up wrong. [But with the really old ones, be careful to plug into the gen before attaching 'big' batteries or the wires can burn up...won't hurt the gen, fingers, another story.] It will make nice CS without the stirrer..it just works better and batches are more consistent with it.

An impromptu thermal stir current can be made by putting black tape on one side of the container and running it in the sun.
..works good when using a solar panel.

ken