From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf
Of Penguin
Sent: Saturday, 5 January 2002 7:31 PM
To: Alan Vink; Karl Clements; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Slackware anybody?

Hmm, now I am not sure what to do ;)

I haven't moved away from Debian, just thinking about it. I am very
particular about a nice tight base system, and just installing the stuff
want, apart from KDE. The thing with Debian is that it sucks majorly for

modern PCs. I have an nVidia GeForce II 64M AGP card and Debian hates
it.
Well, what I mean is that I need XFree 4.0.1 or higher, and when I try
install these required XFree things at 4.1, it never works! I asked
several
times if I had to install in a particular order, and it still says I
can't do
it. Debian just pisses me off majorly in this regard. I am seriously
thinking
of buying hardware around a distro, like getting a generic PCI TNT2
video
card ot an ATI or something that Linux installers can probe and install
the
necessary stuff, and I don't need the latest XFree for.

It's true that I don't want to sit here and become a bloody sysadmin
just to
get the system running, I do just want to get stuff done. But I am
security
concious and very paranoid. I have my firewall on tight security mode,
only
allowing incomming HTTP from certain IPs and stuff. I also only allow
ICMP
when necessary, I don't even allow ping (actually thinking of allowing
ping
for those who I let use my HTTP port).

Aside from that I am still stuck! Don't know what the hell to do. Never
want
to go back to Windows, no way. So it's Linux or BSD. But I am not
familiar
with BSD and don't really fancy running my 128K ISDN connection which is
on
most of the time with a static IP with a new distro I am not familiar
with.

Cheers
James