Dear Joyent and SmartOS Community,

we have been successfully using and integrating SmartOS at Danube Cloud
(Erigones) for about 5 years now. At the beginning we've built an IaaS
platform, which we've transformed into a full-featured software solution -
Danube Cloud (former Erigones SDDC) [1]. During this time, there were
occasional moments where we thought that a Linux hypervisor would maybe be a
better choice... But the strengths of SmartOS / illumos gave ourselves
repeatedly arguments that - YES - it was the right choice (Zones, ZFS,
Crossbow, DTrace... you know the perks...). We would like to say to all illumos
and SmartOS contributors: THANK YOU for the amazing work.

Although, we would like to use the SmartOS platform as it is, we have to
maintain some changes to the illumos-joyent and smartos-live repositories. This
is mostly because of support for installation/boot from hard drive (contributed
by Juraj Lutter), installer (prompt-config) script location and other smaller
changes to the installer. As far as my understanding goes, Joyent would not
want to support installation to hard drive but maybe some other (smaller)
features would be beneficial for Joyent and the SmartOS community. We can
create pull requests for that, but there are a few topics I would like to
discuss first:

- AFAIK we should open merge requests here: https://cr.joyent.us/ and not on
GitHub, but we should create an issue on GitHub first, is this correct, or can
we just create CRs in Gerrit?

- Shell scripts coding style (mainly svc/methods and prompt_config) is a
problem. We are seeing mixing of bash coding patterns, even in scripts where
new bash features are used. (e.g. $var vs ${var} vs "${var}", `` vs $(), [ vs
[[). I assume lots of these are just Solaris heritage, but some scripts are new
and yet we see these strange inconsistencies. I'm not going to argue about line
length and tabs vs spaces (although please don't mix them). But as we are
saying: at least do it consistently wrong :) We are happily using shellcheck
[2] for most of our bash scripts and it does solve these kind of problems. Is
there a coding style guide for shell scripts?

- For example: we would love to rewrite the smartos_prompt_config.sh script so
it does not use global variables. Would you accept such change?

Daniel

[1] https://github.com/erigones/esdc-ce/wiki
[2] https://github.com/koalaman/shellcheck