Whats iPhoto (or rather photos) like these days?

I have lots of pictures from various cameras and phones in total disarray
going back many years and I'm getting a new laptop soon, so want to finally
sort them out.

Ideally I'll be keeping the masters, or the whole thing on a windows shared
network folder, which I know iphoto in the past would have hated.

Is the modern photos app any good or should I ignore it and go for
something like Lightroom?

I don't require any cloudiness and don't want to pay a monthly fee.