I have a 500 MHz unit, 512M ram, which I think is the 5501-70, new in
early 2011, updated to the latest bios mid spring (bios was old on
arrival from the factory).

I installed a vpn1411 and a new-old-stock 40G 2.5" PATA disk.

My experience has been with NetBSD 5.[01]_STABLE, really tip of netbsd-5
branch since about February.  It's been mostly good, with two issues -
one that is pretty clearly due to NetBSD issues, and one about which I'm
not sure.

* huge disk not stable with rump mount or WAPBL

I have 2T disk on the USB port (no hub).  With a regular (traditional
kernel) mount (of a GPT partition), without WAPBL, it has been
completely solid - up for probably 6 months solid except for a 24h power
failure recently.   With a rump mount, the system crashes after a while,
I think due to leaks and issues with multithreaded processes abending,
and with WAPBL I think the 0.5G of ram is overstressed by the 2T drive
during steady large writes (it's a backup drive, basically).

This is 99.999% clearly not a hardware issue.

* crypto accelerators

With opencrypto drivers for the vpn1411 or for the geode security
coprocessor, I got some kind of lockups/crash with heavy ssh.

I am guessing this is a driver bug, but I really don't know.

I am virtually certain this is not a power supply issue as the board is
wired to about 30 Ah (original, tired, maybe 15 Ah now) total of
lead-acid batteries ganged together, with a 6A-capable float charger.
Even spikes to 10A wouldn't faze this setup, relative to the 5V
regulator.

Unfortunately NetBSD-5's envstat(8) reports no drivers, so I don't know
the CPU temperature.

My notes-to-self while figuring this out are at:

  http://www.lexort.com/blog/net5501.html

(The disk stability issue was only half figured out last I updated the
page.  But my machine with kernel mount, no wapbl, no accelerators is
completely stable.)