It's not about whether we can freeze a texture projection or not.  The issue is
about the Softimage API and it's limitations to do things we need to do to be
really productive.

There are areas which are not developed in line with our needs, and in some
cases are blocking issues.  Texture operator freezing was just one of them as
you cannot effectively model and texture at the same time because freezing
modeling construction history also freezes texture operators, but the
relationships is not clear to the user.  Once a texture operator is frozen, you
lose certain abilities such as the 'preserve UVs' workflow.  This effectively
forces users to complete all modeling before beginning to texture.  This is not
realistic because in the case of games development the process is heavily
iterative.  Just because an asset is modeled and textured then sent into the
game engine does not imply the asset needs no further work.  In fact, it's just
the opposite as the real work has just begun.

Once an asset gets into a game engine, a whole other level of workflow enters
the picture from game play, performance balancing, art direction, beta testing,
market research, and so on.  Assets on average go through at least 15-20
revisions before deemed 'approved'.  That means an artist performing revisions
is beginning with an asset that is completed with geometry and texture, but no
construction history or texture operators present in the scene.  The problem is
the artist needs to make the same edits to textures as they would as if
creating the textures from scratch - including preserve UVs, regularize, relax,
unfold, and other common operations. This is the block as many of the functions
aren't available once texture operators are frozen.  You have to redo your work
from scratch to get into an edit friendly position to continue the edit process
which is prohibitively expensive in time and energy.  The fact a software
developer who claims to understand our market continues to push out workflows
like this is rather frustrating.

When project Moondust was first revealed, it was a very exciting moment because
it hinted at the potential to remove many of the barriers we experience in
production.  While it certainly gave Softimage instant legitimacy in the area
of Particle work, it didn't provide the same impact to other areas of the
software, in many cases only retreading established ground, or not supporting
as much as established systems.  Modeling comes to mind. While topology
generators are unique to ICE and not available in the C++ SDK, the rest of the
ICE modeling system only supports a subset provided by the C++ SDK.  This makes
it very difficult to make custom tools because our assets are loaded with
custom properties and metadata which are the main mechanisms to pass
information from Softimage to our game engine.  ICE doesn't support custom
properties or metadata or cluster properties in many operations such as merging
or copying which basically makes them off limits for production as using an ICE
modeling tool would destroy data we need to maintain.  From our perspective,
it's as if ICE modeling doesn't exist.  We'd prefer it be an option in our
pipeline, but to make that a reality, systems need to be completed and barriers
removed.

It's a design issue.

Matt