I think you need to be brutally honest with him about the nature of
the business, game development and visual F/X. I have some contact
with students who go to my alma mater, Pratt Institute. I've been very
honest with them about how our industry is changing and how tough it
might be to make a career of it over the long haul. I've gone so far
as to encourage them to look at other areas where they can use their
skills in a different industry. It's simple economics, the amount they
have to pay back is staggering and I do not envy anyone just coming
out of school this year. I think the number one issue a lot of
students aren't considering before they choose a school and a career
is ROI - Return On Investement. There was a student I knew who wanted
to be an architect, and she was considering a school that cost around
$40-$50k per year for a 5 year program. I asked her if she knew what
kind of money Architects made and she didn't. Knowing many architects
personally, I told her what she could expect and explained how long at
that salary range it would take to pay back those loans. Before our
discussion, no one ever bothered to point this out, and she went away
wiser for it.

We've all seen the news, the studios closing or moving to other
countries where labor is cheaper, or there is a subsidy to be had. The
last several years has been especially tough for freelancers, we tend
to really feel the effects of these things faster since our work is
solely driven by demand and we're the first to go when things slow
down.

I think for young people looking to our line of work as being exciting
and fun, which it is, but you have to also have them take a good long
look at what it takes these days to get your foot in the door. An
honest assessment of their skills is also important. Far better to
wound their pride a little now rather than leading them down a path
where they will find themselves unemployed or so saddled with debt
that they regret the decision, maybe both.

Not trying to be doom and gloom, but I see what's happening in VFX to
be eerily similar to what happened in IT about 10-15 years ago. I'm
just not sure how it's going to pan out.

On the subject of schools, I haven't heard many good things about Full
Sail. Do a quick google search and you'll find a lot of unhappy people
who went there.

Eric

Freelance 3D and VFX animator

http://vimeopro.com/user7979713/3d-work