Tim certainly has some good thoughts. Let me throw a penny onto the pile.

Best piece of advice I would give these days...don't be a CG artist. I
know...given this list...but I have been in games for 16+ years in the art
field and the single most important role in a studio is a software developer
and then maybe creative. I hear it all the time, its easier to outsource the
art than it is to outsource the development and its mostly true. Talking with
recruiter friends of mine, its pretty scary out there for art. You have tons of
seasoned top notch guys getting laid off and these for profit schools (Full
Sail, DigiPen, AI, and the like) turning out brand new artists at high volume
and no one can get a steady job. You need to have serious art chops. I really
don't see this getting better.

Even if you are not in games, a software developer for the most part will be in
demand. I as noted to a friend recently, there really isn't much of a plan B
for a character artist\animator\rigger\lighter. Heck, I don't know a single
artist that has "retired" from the CG industry. But there are a ton more
options for a decent dev. I know of a number of really good game devs that just
left all together and have completely different careers. One friend was a lead
graphics dev and after the last layoff he went to Nokia working on NavTeq
stuff. Happily employed and taking care of his family.

My Plan B is to grow parsnips.

Marc Brinkley
GO GO GO
Microsoft Studios