Hey Simon and Cris,

You guys are forgetting the low-tech approach...

The InstanceShape has two "*Hierarchy Modes*": "*Object Only* and "*Object
and Children*". Therefore, *you can just instance a null with two meshes
inside it* and in each Visibility property, set one to viewport-vis only
and one to render-vis only. Easy! :p

Cheers,

   -- Alan

ps: You can set the null's shape to "None" so it won't show. Don't hide it
the regular way! If you hide something that's instanced it will default to
a null appearance, regardless of what it is.