*""""Matt Lind speye...@hotmail.com <speye...@hotmail.com> via
<http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1311182&ctx=mail>
listproc.autodesk.com
<http://listproc.autodesk.com> *
*3:46 PM (8 minutes ago)*
*to softimage*

*I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  What you have to
understand is Autodesk doesn't want customers running concurrent sessions
off a single license as in a Maya/Max and a Softimage session running in
parallel.  that would effectively allow double the users to work while
paying only half the price.  eg; if a customer has 50 licenses it would
allow 50 maya + 50 softimage users to run concurrently, but pay for only 50
licenses.  Some studios are ethical and wouldn't do something like that,
but as someone mentioned just the other day, other studios in lesser
affluent places might not be so ethical.  Even if Softimage were included
for free, it still consumes some amount of resources to ensure it still
installs and runs as advertised. I agree in principle Autodesk should
continue Softimage until one of their other products can replace the
functionality.  If anything, that's the ball that was dropped in this whole
debacle.  Of all companies on the planet, you'd think the one with all the
accumulated experience of all the products that went through this process
in the 1990's would know better and be more prepared than anyone else.  But
what's done is done.The problem with the theory of disgruntled users
leaving and hurting Autodesk is that the Softimage user base isn't large
enough to really be missed on Autodesk's bottom line.  think about it.
Only 8% of Autodesk's revenue comes from media and entertainment.  Of that
8%, about 5% of it is from Softimage (0.4% total) - and that might be a
generous number.  For every $100 Autodesk earns in revenue, 40 cents comes
from Softimage.  Take out expenses and you're looking at much less.  I
don't remember the actual number, but I thought somebody recently reported
Autodesk earned $392 million last year.  So, let's run that through the
calculator:   $392,000,000 USD * 0.004 = $1,568,000 Softimage gross
revenueI don't know what 10 developers in Singapore get paid, so I'll use
conservative values based on USA rates:    10 * $100,000 =
$1,000,000 subtract expenses from revenue:    $1,568,000 - $1,000,000 =
$568,000I don't know what marketing of Softimage costs, but I'm willing
to bet $568,000 USD doesn't go very far for a product that needs a lot of
attention to survive.  Even if tripled, that's still lean.  See the
problem?One item of note that probably hasn't been brought up in discussion
yet is that Softimage has been included in the Max and Maya suites the past
few years, so some sales of Max and Maya may actually be Softimage sales in
a certain light - I know of at least one studio where that is the case.  In
that scenario Softimage is getting the short end of the stick when it comes
to accounting.I mourn the loss of Softimage as much as anybody having
dedicated 21+ years of my life to it both as professional user and former
owner of a Softimage certified training center.  Sometimes life
sucks.""""""*

21+ years of development experience you have and you don't even have the
simplest faith in Autodesk that they can allow Soft and Maya to run on one
single machine at the same time for crosswalk purposes but not allow them
to run separately on two machines at the same time?  ok, sure