None of these products are for newbies; we spent years learning Softimage.
Sounds like you wanted to edit a history node, doing a procedural
modification. You'd open the node editor or try the input section of the
channel box. This is a first days stuff. We would probably not have had a
render tree in XSI if we had focused on simplicity over power. And
certainly not Ice. God you have to guess node name and search for them, are
you kidding me. Even with classic simulation it's not always obvious to
know what to select and when to call menu. There is all sort of stuff we
just learn - the measure of usability is how well you can do more complex
stuff once you know the basics