Maya has 'contribution maps' that you can create on layers, which are kinda the
same as Soft's partitions. I'm not saying they're better (and I don't want to
get into a debate) but that's the equivalent.

From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Jacob Gonzalez
Sent: 19 March 2014 11:43
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: A confession

The point I was trying to make is that not having partitions makes rendering in
Maya much more difficult and less efficient than rendering in XSI. This is one
the features I am put off by when switching to Maya.

 Agreed,  different 3D applications behave in different manners, and so you
just need to change your way of working to adapt to it. Then it's not as
horrible as you thought it was at first.But in the case of partitions I haven't
come across any Maya user who had a workaround or method which was even close
to XSI's built in features. And I have worked 4 years on a Maya / XSI based
post house.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Graham Bell